Negative verbs are verbs which indicate that an action did not
happen. Here, the word "negative" means "opposite", as in "to negate"
something. We have seen this before in Negatives / Questions and Negative Commands.
- past/present tense negative verbs
- To form a negative verb, past or present, use infinitive +
Since all infinitives end in an அ sound, we
automatically know that வ் must be inserted between the
verb and -இல்லை.
- future tense negative verbs
- For nouns besides அது and அவை,
the negative is infinitive + மாட்ட் + verb suffix
- For அது and அவை, replace the
final -அ from the infinitive with -ஆது
- நான் ஆளை கெடுதலாக பேச விடமாட்டேன் = "I will not let
the guy talk badly"
- அந்த சிறப்பான கிணற்றில் தண்ணீர் தீராது = "In that
special well, water will not run out"